If you battle dry skin every winter, you aren't alone. Common skin moisture zappers might be undermining your skin care regimen. These are some things you can do from the inside out to help keep your skin hydrated & healthy this season.
- Drink plenty of water and up your intake of healthy fats. Think avocado, salmon and olive oil. All of these naturally lubricate from the inside out.
- Cut back on coffee and alcohol, they are both considered diuretics which means they make your body get rid of moisture, not hold it in.
- Skip traditional bar soaps and stay away from sulfate formulated washes. Both of these can strip the skin’s natural lipid barrier, leaving it unprotected and dry.
- Bathe in warm tepid water, never steamy hot. Extreme long hot showers can dry out skin further.
- Turn down the thermostat in the house. Having the heat cranked all day long (and night) can really zap moisture from your skin. Keep it at a comfortable ambient temperature under 70 degrees F.