Fall and winter are tough on your lips. Their delicate skin suffers some of the most wear and tear on the body; we use them for eating, breathing, smooching and more. Combined with dry, cold, winter weather they can suffer! Here are some tips to keep your lips in tip-top condition this coming cold season:
- Break the lip licking habit. Saliva contains enzymes that break down the skin barrier and when it evaporates, it leaves lip skin drier than before.
- Drink more water. Dry chapped lips are a key sign of overall dehydration.
- Create a more humid environment. Indoor heating can dry out lips, so opt for a humidifier to create more moisture in the air.
- Use a lip balm with occlusive ingredients that form a protective barrier. Stick to ones that contain coconut oil or beeswax.
- Stay away from matte lipsticks. Even though they claim to be moisturizing, the mattifying ingredients can really dry out lip skin. Try wearing a hydrating balm underneath lipstick for extra moisture.
- Slather on a rich emollient lip balm before bed. Night time is when skin heals itself and that includes your lips.